Friday, January 31, 2014

Playdough

Nice.

I've been making some playdough recently, which is a nice colourful change from the poo of doing my yearly accounts...

Not so nice.
Playdough is incredibly easy to make so I thought I'd share the recipe I used.

Playdough:
This makes a fist sized lump

1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup of salt
1/2 tablespoon oil
1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
Some food colouring if you want coloured stuff.

Mix it all up in a wee saucepan, put it on a low heat and stir until it comes together in a lump.
Cool and knead.

I've made it twice now, once while the wee man was asleep and once when he helped me measure everything out. The first result has a lovely texture, but strangely the results of the toddler-made playdough are a little more gritty (what can I say, the boy loves pouring salt). So if you want perfect playdough, I'd recommend sticking fairly well to your measurements. Also if you'd prefer not to dye your child's fingers red and blue for a few days (he loves those little food colouring bottles) then it also might be best to make it while they are asleep.


In more sage parenting advice, unless you want to spend about three hours sweeping your kitchen, you might want to avoid giving your child a full pot of hundreds and thousands and a another one of silver ball cake decorations to pour out in a bowl on the kitchen floor. Although on balance, I have to say it was worth it just to watch the joy!

No comments: