Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Sketchbook Project

I have finished my book for The Sketchbook Project, a travelling exhibition/library of sketchbooks that will make its way across the states for the next six months.

Participants each got a blank sketchbook to fill in and a theme to use as a starting point. The theme I chose was "In five minutes..." which made me think of all the things that happen in a short period of time that you might not notice happening, and all the things that happen in a much longer period of time.

I completely dismantled the book I was sent, and made a new book, with an illustrated story at the front, and then a fold out section at the back...
...keep on unfolding......and again...
...into a big tree.

Its mostly done with pen and ink and watercolours on watercolour paper.
Some details of the tree and the story are below.


Its been fun making it, and a challenge to get such a large poster into a small book, while keeping the dimensions the same. Another challenge was making it very hard-wearing. I am not used to having to think about lots of people handling my work!

11 comments:

Amanda (loves Kevin) said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Are there more pictures? I'd like to see even more of the details!

Snag Breac said...

Thank you! I'll have to put more up.

Felix said...

This is absolutely stunning, just stunning.

What a wonderful, creative, brilliant sketchbook project!

Hurrah for your amazing talents!

peacepyro said...

Stunning work Caro x

Snag Breac said...

Thanks folks!

Myrmidon said...

Caro youare a genius! What a wonderful rethinking of the sketchbook, it looks beautiful too!

Snag Breac said...

Aw, you'll all give me a big head here!
Thanks!

Christine Raab-Heine said...

Just saw this today.
I'm baffled. It's just amazing.
And you will know, I love the theme you chose.

Snag Breac said...

Thanks Christine!

onlinesketchpad said...

I came across your name via the Sketchbook Project website- Did you know that there is a little video posted there about the whole concept?The presenter shows his favourite book and it's your one! How cool! It's really lovely, a fantastic idea. I've just sent away for my sketchbook for 2012, hopefully I can come up with something as pretty! Lovely blog too;-) Amy

Snag Breac said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks a lot for letting me know about that! I appreciate it!
Popping over to your blog now!
Thanks
Caroline