Monday, July 26, 2010

Moths and Flutterbys

How could I not put up photos of this beauty, the Garden Tiger moth? She was found on a walk myself and my mother took in the top field - a huge fluttering, bumbling, orange, white and black creature, which we ran after over and over, until she finally settled down to lay some eggs.She was massive - about a 2" wingspan.
Apparently containing a poisonous toxin too, I found out upon returning home and looking her up.
There she is, laying her eggs.
Its incredible just how many different species of butterfly and moths that live in Ireland - the moths much more so. They are creatures I haven't really spent any time looking at before - until I got a good identification guide for my birthday that is! Here are some of the ones I've managed to capture on camera...

The Ringlet...
Small Copper...

Meadow Brown...
I think this is the Orange Underwing moth...
and a Silver-washed Fritillary... (butterfly that is.)

5 comments:

ColorSlut said...

Stunning moths. I just posted a photo of a mothra on my blog too ;) Must be the season.
http://potku.blogspot.com/

Mine was in the house and I thought it was a leaf at first.

peacepyro said...

Beautiful Photos, i especially like the photo of the tiger butterfly laying eggs, well spotted butterfly lady

Christine Raab-Heine said...

Lovely pictures, and great those of the Garden Tiger! What strong pattern!
Never met it, unfortunately.
Do you know what exactly is the main distinction between butterflies and moths?
Moths seem to have heavier bodies and different behaviour, shape, folding of their wings? Is there more, like feeding, development,...?

Ciara said...

I think moths are my very favourite thing in the creature world! Love them!

What incredible pictures. What kind of lens do you use?
I especially love the Garden Tiger moth, which I have only seen twice and not in recent years. We get a lot of moths and butterflies in and around our house, especially this time of year. My most thrilling Moth Moment was last summer when I found a Small Elephant Hawk Moth which I had never seen before and it was ridiculously beautiful and PINK!

Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see more!

Snag Breac said...

Ciara - thanks for your comments - also enjoyed your Scenes from the Moth House. The elephant hawk moth sounds amazing.
They are incredible creatures. I just wish clothing moths didn't exist!
The camera I use is just a cheap Panasonic Lumix with the macro button turned on. I like it because it is really light and easily poked into small places.

Christine - yes, I'm not totally sure about that one - certainly the wing folding seems to be a big difference - regarding feeding and stuff, most species seem to feed on different things anyway so I'm not sure there is a feeding distinction between moths and butterflies as such.