Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Crochet Coral Reef

There is still time to crochet up some corals to contribute to the Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef coming to the Science Gallery next month.
Its going to be a massive collection of crocheted corals bringing together mathematics, feminism, and environmental issues.
The crochet coral came about as a model of hyperbolic space, and has grown and been exhibited all over the world.
You can make your own corals and send them in to the Science Gallery to add to the Irish Reef until the 7th of March.Toxic coral.

Even better, get out your plastic rubbish, make it into yarn and crochet with that. Toxic coral goes white because of pollutants, so there will be a toxic reef at the show. Click here for instructions on how to make yarn from plastic bags.

You can here a talk by Margaret Wertheim here. I went up last year to hear her talk and she is very inspiring. And here is the website for the Institute of Figuring, where you can find out much more about the project, and patterns.
I can't wait to see the Irish Reef!

9 comments:

Maeve said...

Caroline! They're so beautiful! The toxic coral looks as if it's made with cling film. So thready and tender. Maybe Fink and I will see you there! M

Snag Breac said...

Thanking you!
Would be lovely to see you there, and put a face to a name. Maybe we three should arrange to meet?
Was thinking of going up when they have an opening for the contributors...
c

Maeve said...

I'd love that! Do you know when the opening is? I'm imagining something like a Star Trek Convention but with swarms of women pouring over reefs of beautiful crochet..

Snag Breac said...

Yes, I'd imagine it will be something like that alright!

Looks like there is an opening on the friday 19th of March, and then it officially opens on the 20th.
I will let you know times when I find them out.
c

peacepyro said...

wow!

philippa said...

Love your coral! and thanks for the heads up!-I thought I'd missed the closing date. I'm a very recent convert to crochet...may never knit again!
My contributions
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=160896&id=633535372&l=e21f6c6f55

Snag Breac said...

Thanks Caroeile and Phil.
Phil - They're lovely! You're new to crochet then...its good isn't it - very fast and very organic. Well done on the corals. Maybe I'll see you at the opening too!
xxx

lusciousblopster said...

so beautiful! really lovely. can't wait to see them in the reef! heading to the opening right now...i'll look out for your stuff and let's arrange a visit in the next month or two when the reef is on display

heather casey said...

My cousin, Bernie Biggs was involved in this, do you know her? Looks very cool. I've just discovered the joys of crochet this year. Heather