Sunday, November 9, 2008

Prune cake

What a fabulous week it has been, and, to celebrate the election, I give you... Prune, Orange and Spice cake. I wanted to make a prune and bran cake and looked on the internet for a recipe - I found one with the advice that it was delicious and moist. It was not delicious and moist. It was like eating cardboard. I think I remarked "well, its not disgusting..." It wasn't disgusting. It wasn't anything. It definitely wasn't cake. It was flavourless and texturefull. All the wrong texture - kind of gritty, scratchy, exfoliating texture. Anyway, enough about that one, I have instead come up with a recipe based on the fantastic lemon cake taught to me in Devon by a beautiful woman. A far cry from the first version which had to be fed to the chickens.... (incidentally they loved it. And so did the dog...)

Prune, Orange and Spice Cake


4 oz butter
4 oz sugar
zest of one orange
1/8th tsp ground cinnamon
1/8th tsp ground cloves
a grating of nutmeg
one egg
4 oz self raising flour
1 oz oatbran
4 oz chopped prunes

This cake is very easy to make and can be entirely made in a saucepan.
Melt the butter and add the sugar until dissolved and gooey. (It doesn't take long.) Stir in the orange zest and spices. Let it cool a bit and beat in the egg. Gently mix in the flour and then the oatbran, then stir in the prunes, place in an oiled cake tin and bake for 20 minutes or until done (when a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean) in a hot oven - 180 degrees celcius or so.

It is a lovely buttery, lightly spiced cake, with a moist interior and biscuity top, and above all, very easy to make!

1 comment:

Felix said...

sounds delicious.

It is totally wet and rainy here: Total Grimwald!

I am cheering myself up with inventing a squashkin & spiced popcorn cake... but if I didn't have a load of squashkin to use up, I would be trying your recipe out immediately instead.

x